POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov 0.4 Now Available (Windows/Macintosh) : A trivial #version conundrum Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:50:03 EDT (-0400)
  A trivial #version conundrum
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 30 Jan 2000 19:00:19
Message: <3894D0C0.CBF01B51@enter.net>
While I'm on the subject, I'll mention here for the benefit of
anyone else who doesn't bother putting Version=3.1 in their INI
files (like me, duh!), if you don't tell MegaPOV anything going
in, it apparently automatically sets itself for version 3.00 which
of course kills the #macro directive.

For some reason, setting ...

#version unofficial MegaPov 0.4;"

...won't change this behaviour even though setting...

"#version official 3.1;"

..will fix it. (??) Anyway, the best solution is fix your
INI files, I guess, but another workaround is to use
"#version official 3.1;" before you define your macros, then
"#version unofficial MegaPov 0.4;" after you're finished.
For whatever reasons, once they're defined, the version
doesn't have any affect on the macros performance. Personally
I don't see why any version switch should turn off macros.
I mean, obviously macros didn't always exist and older
versions of POV won't handle them, but if the program
version you're using knows what they are, why be fussy and
shut down with an error messgae because of a version switch?

Anyway, thought I'd post this observation in case it affects
anyone else as dumb as me.

Charles